Have you ever thought about how making a small change in your life can have a lasting impact? I used to journal about the mundaneness of my day, things that worried me, and my biggest fears. Since switching to journal prompts for self-growth I’ve noticed vast differences in my general happiness and ability to get what I want from life.
The best use of journaling is to help you train your mind to think more positive thoughts to help you get more positive outcomes. Starting your day with a few minutes of journaling is an excellent way to make sure your mind is ready for the day and focused on the things you want instead of wallowing in the things you don’t want or leaving your day up to chance.
Journaling Tips For Beginners
If you’re new to journaling it can be intimidating to stare at a completely blank page. It’s easy to start writing what comes to your mind, but if your mind is trained for negativity like all of ours initially are, (survival) you’re almost guaranteed to be documenting and solidifying your worries and fears. Instead, you can start with journaling prompts designed to make you think about your life, what you are grateful for, what you like and don’t like, and how you can change them.
A simple daily journaling format for beginners is to answer a question from a prompt, write down 3 things that you’re grateful for, and finish by writing down one thing that you can do to make your day great. Doing this sets the tone for the rest of your day so you’re far more likely to make it a good one. To help get you started, here are a few prompts to start your journaling habit.
43 Self-Improvement Journal Prompts
- What has made you smile lately and why?
- Is there a past mistake that you just can’t shake? Write a letter to yourself as if you were talking to your best friend forgiving them for making a mistake.
- What is something you’re really good at? How does that give you an advantage?
- What activity fills your cup? What about it is so enjoyable?
- Write about your body as if it is a work of art.
- What is one of your most passionate goals? Describe it as if you were talking to someone who knew nothing about it.
- What’s the best compliment you have ever gotten?
- What five things would you be most grateful for if they happened?
- What do you appreciate most about each day?
- What do you think about when you’re happy?
- Consider what you are for dinner last night. Did it make you feel good in your body? Why or why not?
- What is your ideal self-care routine? What can you do today to get closer to your ideal?
- Describe your perfect day.
- What do you do for fun? How do you feel when you do it?
- What achievement are you most proud of? How did you accomplish it?
- What feels negative in your life and how can you remove it?
- How do you feel about asking for help? What are the most comfortable ways to ask for help?
- When do you feel the most balanced?
- Think about a time you showed more flexibility than you thought you had. What did you learn from the experience?
- What habit would you like to develop over the next month? Why do you want to create this habit?
- What makes you curious? Is there more room for that in your life?
- How do you handle criticism or rejection? Be honest. It’s okay if you realize you don’t handle it well.
- What have you learned from a complete stranger?
- What would you tell your 9-year-old self?
- How do you handle praise?
- How do other people see you? How would you like for them to see you?
- How do you effectively deal with stress?
- How do you handle change?
- What inspires you?
- What is your best personality trait?
- What is the last compliment you received?
- What compliment do you wish to get more often? Write as if you’re talking to yourself.
- Write down 10 affirmations that you can call on when you’re not feeling like yourself.
- What are three easy ways you can love yourself today?
- If your closest friends were to write down your best personality traits, what would they be?
- Picture all the people you feel judged by, and one by one write down why their opinions of you are wrong.
- What’s the first thing you turn to when you feel sad? Is it a healthy thing?
- What activity drains you?
- What fills you up?
- What are your 3 biggest pet peeves?
- Where would you be if all of your goals were accomplished?
- What goals have you let fall by the wayside?
- What are your biggest time wasters?
27 Deep Writing Prompts About Life
- What do you want to be remembered for?
- What do you want your legacy to be?
- When is the last time you told someone you love them?
- What will your life be like when you’ve made it through all of your current struggles?
- Think about the past three years of your life. What progress have you made? What can you change or do differently to be where you wish to be?
- What does love mean to you? How do you show love to others?
- Who are you most grateful for?
- Does your current environment support your growth? How can you improve it?
- What role does hope play in your life?
- How would you like to use your time?
- How do you feel about money?
- What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?
- Why do you think you’re here?
- What are the positive ways you’ve changed in the past 3 years?
- What makes you feel loved?
- What do you feel like you need the most right now?
- Do you neglect taking care of yourself? Why?
- What motivates you the most (fear, money, happiness, etc.)?
- Why are you? The good, the bad, and the ugly?
- What do you want in a life partner/spouse? Are you the reciprocal of that?
- If money wasn’t an issue, how would you live the rest of your life?
- What would your highest self say to your current self?
- What changes do you want to see in your life in five years?
- What habits, memories, relationships, etc. are you holding onto that are keeping you from improving yourself?
- What boundaries do you need to set with others?
- What’s a limiting perspective or mindset that you’ve lived with your entire life? How are you going to work through it?
- When do you feel most confident?
Add a Little Lovely to Your Inbox
Subscribe to receive exclusive content updates, beauty & style advice, personal development tips, and curated round-ups of the things that help me elevate the everyday.
Journal Prompts for Self Growth | The Lady Loves Living